in , ,

House Plant Hazards – Are Lilies Poisonous to Dogs?

are lilies poisonous to dogs

Despite the fact that lethal lily poisonings in dogs are uncommon, lilies are nonetheless considered dangerous to our canine companions. This is why all houseplant enthusiasts should be aware of Lily toxicity in dogs so that they can safeguard their pets. Are lilies poisonous to dogs? Let’s find out.

When purchasing plants for your garden or indoor decor, always do a little research about the plant you want. Because some plants i.e. Fig plant and lilies etc are poisonous to pets. Dogs can’t eat them due to their poisonous nature. You can also read about Why Can’t Dogs Eat Figs – Everything You Need To Know!

So, if you want to get lilies, it is better to find out the risks associated with them before buying them. While not all lilies are harmful to dogs, the majority of lilies can induce stomach distress and other unpleasant symptoms. To find out more, keep reading this article! 

Are lilies poisonous?

Before moving to the question, “Are lilies poisonous to dogs?” First, let’s find if lily is poisonous in general. There are many types of lilies and generally, the entire lily plant is toxic. Lilies occur in a variety of colors and varieties, with some being more dangerous than others. The root, or tuber, has the highest concentration of colchicine alkaloids

Thus, Lily is one of the most toxic flower species, eliciting acute life-threatening symptoms to pets within hours after ingestion. The colchicine alkaloids in the lily are exceedingly toxic and can induce a number of symptoms ranging from digestive distress to organ failure. If not treated promptly, it can be fatal.

Please read this article on “9 Plants That Are Toxic For Kids – Don’t Let Your Child Get Poisoned” to find out which plants are toxic for kids.

Lily Poisoning in Dogs

Dogs have been known to die after consuming just a couple of lily tubers, so keep these out of reach at all times. Dogs have been known to dig out lily tubers from the ground, so keep an eye out not only within your home but also outside. The colchicine alkaloids are mainly concentrated in the tuber, despite the fact that the entire plant is deadly. 

Even if the dog only eats one tuber, it can cause a risk of cardiac imbalance and organ damage. So, if you suspect your dog has eaten even a tiny bit of a lily, you should seek medical attention as quickly as possible. 

Types Of Lilies Poisonous to Dogs

Here are the most common types of Lily plants poisonous to dogs: 

Prairie Flower (Rain Lily):

These lilies are harmful to dogs. The most dangerous portion of these lilies is the bulb, which can cause mild to severe gastrointestinal (GI) discomfort in dogs.

Lily of the Valley:

Cardiac glycosides (gastrointestinal irritants) are found in Lily of the Valley. If a dog consumes the root, leaves, or petals of this lily, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, slowing heart rate, cardiac rhythms, seizures, and even death in severe cases.

Peace Lily:

The peace lily plant contains calcium oxalate crystals that are absorbed into the skin tissue and cause discomfort in the mouth and gastrointestinal tract. It can also cause acute burning and irritation of the mouth, tongue, and lips if a dog nibbles on any part of it. Excessive drooling, vomiting, and trouble swallowing are all possible side effects.

Calla Lily:

Like the peace lily, the calla lily has calcium oxalate crystals that are insoluble. Even a smidgeon of this plant might expose your dog to the crystals and cause unpleasant symptoms. Oral discomfort, excessive drooling, trouble swallowing, vomiting, and a loss of appetite are all possible side effects of the crystals.

Non Toxic Lilies For Dogs

There are certain types of Lilies that do not pose any threat to dogs; these include daylilies and true lilies. Flowers that fall in these categories will not harm your dog. These plants are typically considered non-poisonous to pups. However, if your dog consumes a significant amount of any houseplant, he will wind up with an upset stomach. 

Here are non-toxic Lilies to dogs:

Easter lily

Stargazer lily

Tiger lily

Peruvian lily

Japanese show lily

Oriental lily

Rubrum lily

Spider lily

Wood lily

Note: Despite the fact that these lilies are harmless, they can nonetheless produce unpleasant responses in dogs when eaten in a substantial amount. 

Is The Smell of Lilies Toxic to Dogs?

The smell of lilies is generally not always harmful to dogs. To produce poisoning symptoms, the plant must be consumed or come in touch with the dog’s skin.

However, lily pollen can make some people and animals sick – especially those with pollen allergies. Pollen particles in the air may collect on your dog’s fur or snout, allowing them to lick it off. Ingesting little amounts of pollen may not constitute a significant risk to a grown dog, but tiny and sensitive pups may become ill. Moreover, inhaling pollen may irritate their nose, but it is unlikely to cause any harm.

Symptoms and Side Effects of Lily Poisoning in Dogs

There are many factors by which you can determine whether your dog is suffering from Lily poisoning or not. Most of them depend upon which type of Lily your dog has ingested. 

The type of lily poisoning determines the cause and makes it easy to be treated. For example, True Lilies contain colchicine alkaloids that cause damage to blood cells, resulting in organ failure and death if not addressed in time. Other lilies have insoluble oxalate crystals that irritate the skin and gastrointestinal tract.

If you cannot determine the type of Lily ingested, you can check for various symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, pawing the face, and irregular pulse. 

Note: There is no set time to when your dog will show symptoms and side effects of Lily poisoning, but in common cases, the side effects start appearing within two hours of ingestion. So, the best bet to call your vet is right away if you notice any symptoms. 

Can Lilies Kill Dogs?

Fortunately for your dog, deadly Lily poisoning is quite rare. However, as stated earlier, many lilies are nonetheless hazardous to dogs, and even ingesting non-toxic species can result in serious disease. Some dogs, like humans, are more vulnerable to toxins since it takes a much smaller quantity to harm them. Although all the parts of Lilies are toxic to dogs they don’t directly pose a threat to kill. They sure are harmful substances and should be avoided in a dog’s diet. 

In the end, it depends on the type of dog. For example, puppies are prone to get poisoned easily. Either way, if you have houseplants, taking care of your pooch and keeping an eye on him is highly recommended!

Treatment For Lily Poisoning in Dogs 

If your dog eats Lily, you should take him to a vet as soon as possible. The treatment of Lily poisoning usually depends upon the severity of symptoms. Initially, your vet might initiate a stage of vomiting so that all the poisonous stuff can get out. If that does not help the vet will give fluids to drain the poison out of the dog’s system. 

Furthermore, the dog needs to be administered for fluid intake. Keeping your dog hydrated is the key to drain out the substances your dog has consumed.

How To Keep Your Dog(s) Away From Lilies 

The best thing you can do is not keep a Lily plant and a dog in the same house. However, if that is not possible, here are some ways you can keep your dog away from eating Lilies: 

  1. Place the plant out of reach of the dog. If you have a large canine, it is best to keep the plant on tall shelves and in high places such as window sills. 
  2. Regular feed your dog because if your dog is well-fed he will not be tempted to nibble on houseplants!
  3. Put some lemon or orange peel on the soil. Dogs don’t like citrus, and yours will likely steer clear of the area. 
  4. Spray the leaves of the plant with a mixture of water, vinegar, and pepper. The scent and taste of these will keep your dog away from the plant. 
  5. Place your Lily plants with other houseplants that dogs usually do not like. These include, Lavender, Marigold and Curry Plant. 

Conclusion

It is tough to keep a watch on your pets 24/7 and sometimes this little negligence can cause a massive threat to your pets. Thus, anyone who has both pets and houseplants should know about toxic plants. Lilies are one such plant.

They can be highly poisonous to pets, including both cats and dogs. Here are complete instructions on Are Peace Lilies Poisonous to Cats? So, if you are a dog mommy, keep your pup away from Lilies. In case your dog ingests any part of the Lily plant, contact a vet ASAP! 

Written by Chris Buckland

Hello, I’m Chris. I’m a houseplant expert. I have been Cultivating and Growing Houseplants for 20 years. Plants are like my children. I love to write about Indoor plants and share my experience. That's why I started writing everything I know about houseplants.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

plants that grow in water

5 Indoor Plants That You Can Grow in Water

low light indoor trees

Good-Looking Low Light Indoor Trees That Are Waiting for Your Attention.